Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Family icelandic horses

Here are the full-size horses! Mom has raised Icelandic horses for many years and keeps acquiring more. I used to say the more kids leave the house (there are four of us), the more horses she gets. :)

Icelandics 1

No, this is not a test of a Halloween costume. Many Icelandic horses develop sweet itch after living outside of Iceland for a few years, and covering parts of the horse's body is one way to combat it. They're not used to the biting midges we have here, and they rub their body raw trying to scratch the bites.
Icelandics 1

A full-body covering
Icelandics 1

Icelandics 1

Leading the horses back to the barn for the evening
Icelandics 1

Icelandics 1

Mom wanted some riding photos with Hrydja (Hreeth-ya is my best guess for pronounciation; I'm sure mom will correct me), so we ventured into one of the pastures. She's 19, but has never been a riding horse until now.
Icelandics 1

Mom corrected me on my caption. I had originally wrote that she liked to lean a bunch, when in fact she's doing a dressage movement called a "leg yield".
Icelandics 1

Icelandics 1

Icelandics 1

A stopped moment for Hrydja
Icelandics 1

It's really hard to resist a horse portrait like this.
Icelandics 1

Icelandics 1

The mane on her is amazing.
Icelandics 1

Auto focus comes in handy! Mom wanted a photo of the mane from her point of view, but didn't trust Hrydja enough to release to reins so she could take it herself. So I'm standing as high as I can, holding the camera in front of mom's head and doing many shots, hoping one will come out. Looks like one did.
Icelandics 1

Awww.... pretty horsey
Icelandics 1

No comments: